Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Infected Adenoid

Since I got back from Las Cruces a couple weeks ago Rayce just hasn't been the same. We all look like zombies around here because we have been getting zero sleep. Rayce has been a mess. He refuses to lie down and just plain screams for HOURS. It once took him minutes to fall asleep and now we are going on 2-3 hours. It’s not just at night either it’s goes on for naptime as well. He's visibly tired; it's obvious something is wrong. So, I took him to the doctor again today. As you may recall I took him to the doctor last week because he mysteriously spiked a 104 fever well, I think this the answer to the mystery. The diagnosis is infected adenoid. So what are adenoids you ask? Your adenoids are a mass of lymphoid tissue situated at the very back of the nose, in the roof of the nasopharynx, where the nose blends into the mouth. Adenoids are part of the immune system. Like all lymph tissue, they trap infectious agents like viruses and bacteria, and they produce antibodies. My poor little guy. He also lost a pound since he was in last. His Pedi said at this point he should have been getting better instead of getting worse. I’m glad I took him in. Once again the mommies instinct was right. We got a prescription for amoxicillin and hopefully things will be back to normal around here in a few days.


3 comments:

Vashonnte said...

oh poor little guy! he is in my prayers to get well soon and be back to keeping you busy! good job mom!

Lisa said...

Good for you for following your instinct! I hope Rayce has a speedy recovery and life can get back to normal :)

Shawna said...

Oh poor baby! It is so hard when you aren't getting any sleep.

Good job mama on following your instincts. I am the worst about thinking I should wait to take her in.