Thursday, April 24, 2008

15 month check-up

Before I got abruptly cut off from my internet I forgot to give an update on Rayce’s 15 month appointment. He weighed in at 24.6 pounds and is 32 inches long. He is still down 2 pounds from where he was prior to getting sick so that was a little disappointing. Also he is developmentally delayed in fine motor skills and in his speech. His pedi didn’t seem as concerned as I was. She just said we would have him evaluated and nothing would probably come out of it. WTH? I guess because he is doing some things on target but not others. That would be my guess. I’m not as concerned about his fine motor skills as I am his speech because he doesn’t really say anything, at all. For awhile there he was attempting to say hungry but now he can’t quite get that to come out. So in the meantime I decided to delay some of his vaccines. Rayce stays at home all day with me. He’s not in daycare around a bunch of other kids and so at this time I felt it was in his best interest to hold off on the controversial MMR. At least until we get to the bottom of what is going on with him developmentally. When we get things figured out we will re-evaluate. Until then I guess that makes me a non-vaccine mommy. Although you may not agree I feel like this is the best for my child at this time.

2 comments:

edie & ella said...

you have to go with your gut and if you think holding off on vaccine/s for now then that's what you should do -- i wouldn't worry too much because all kids develop at different paces right !!!!
sam

Cassandra Raney said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I completely agree with you... hold off until you know more about his development. I am just sure that the vax's caused Noah's delays and so we will not do any more. For our baby we will hold off until he is 2 years old, and may even not vax him at all. We are responsible for the health of our children and I feel this is the best for our boys. It is such a hard and controversial topic. Feel free to use Noah's story... I was so unaware of everything and so I hope that his (and all the other kiddos affected out there) can educate parents to research vaccines and not just follow the one size fits all medicial advice.